Spark design & innovation has developed an innovative new horse-riding saddle with industrial designer Aafke Kauffman and the TU Delft.
Called "Unite", the saddle is extremely user-friendly, and allows the rider simply to adjust the saddle to contours of the horse’s back. A patent has been applied for and the product is to be developed further by Spark.
Most existing saddles do not fit a horse’s back exactly, and back injuries are common. Every horse’s back is uniquely shaped, and specialist knowledge is required to fit a traditional leather saddle. The Unite is equipped with adjustable pads that allow the saddle to adjust automatically to the shape of the horse’s back and movements. This ensures that the rider’s weight is distributed evenly over the horse’s back, and prevents injury.
At 3,5 kilograms, the saddle is unusually light, through the use of high-tech materials like spacer fabric and carbon. The modular construction also makes it possible to modify the saddle for different riding disciplines.
Points of sale
( 5 Votes, average: 5 out of 5)
click to vote
- Amsterdam Fashion Week 2013
- Dutch Design Week 2012
- Milan 2012
- Amsterdam Fashion Week 2012
- Dutch Design Week 2011
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2010
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2011
- Dutch Design Week 2010
- Dutch Design Double 2010
- Milan 2010
- Design.nl 100th Issue Favourites
- Dutch Design Week 2009
- Dutch Design Double 2009
- Milan 2009
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2009
- Going Out - Restaurants, bars, cafes, clubs and hotels
- Graphic Design Festival 2008
- Dutch Design Week 2008
- Retail Therapy - Where to buy Dutch design
- FreeDesigndom 2008
- Milan 2008
- Amsterdam International Fashion Week 2008
- Design.nl Tokyo favourites